Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tropic Thunder More Satire Than Silliness (Surprise!)


During my visit to Pixar Animation Studios this past weekend, I was hoping to see Star Wars: The Clone Wars in a screening room surrounded by the best of the best in computer animation. To my initial disappointment (initial being the keyword there; I shall soon explain why), however, the weekly screening at Pixar was slated to be Ben Stiller's newest comedy, Tropic Thunder. And, with a smidgen of chagrin, I have to say that this film was one of the more pleasant surprises I've had in a long while.

But only because my expectations were lower than low. The key to understanding my point of view on this is to know that I have never been overly fond of Stiller's comic orbit. Films like Zoolander (2001), Anchorman (2004), Dodgeball (2004), and There's Something About Mary (1998) have always made me chuckle a little but never laugh out loud. Even Will Ferrel's related work, while prompting me to crack a smile and giggle, would never be counted as one of a few of my favorite things. Leaving me more uncomfortable and queasy than hungry for more, crude slapstick mixed with general absurdity just never does it for me.

Okay, this is me ceasing to beat around the bush: I generally associate Ben Stiller and his comedy cohorts with "dumb humor." It has its time, its place, but never rises to the top of my list. Call me a snob. Go ahead. Do it. I feed off your judging.

Naturally, upon seeing the trailer for Tropic Thunder, I sighed and said to myself, "Man, that is going to be yet another ridiculous and stupid movie." But I'm still in shock as to how far my snap judgment was off the mark. In the way that Swing Vote (which I would never recommend) desperately wanted to but couldn't possibly, Tropic Thunder achieves a level of satire I never would have thought possible given its premise. I mean, a group of actors playing soldiers in the Vietnam War unwittingly find themselves under real fire in an Asian jungle? Please.

But this film is not just about such a humorously contrived situation. It's a jab at the entire film industry - from egotistical actors to petty agents to overbearing producers to product placement to the "based on a true story" film genre. The film's opening scenes - a montage of trailers and advertisements featuring its main characters - runs the risk of causing the film to peak too early, so make sure you don't miss it getting popcorn.

A more critical version of myself would say that Stiller doesn't quite take the satire as far as it can or should go. The last 30 minutes of the film in particular - I suspect in a need to bring the show to an explosive, slam-bank finish - begin to blur the line between self-aware send-up and a self-fulfilling prophecy: actually becoming the thing you are trying to satirize.

Robert Downey Jr., who I am happy to say is back with a vengeance this summer, indubitably steals the show, with his caricature of the method actor - specifically Russell Crowe. See the image at the top of this post? Yea, he's the black guy. I'll leave the pleasure of discovering the circumstances of that hilarity to you. Downey's only rival in this film is Tom Cruise (yes, you heard me correctly), whose extended cameo will blindside you, have a tickle fight with you, kick you down, and then give you a big ole bear hug.

So if you're already a fan of the usual Ben Stiller fare, you'll obviously love this movie. But for the rest of you, the ones who are like me (and I know you're out there, she says, pointing), take the plunge and find something more.

Bango out.

p.s. Don't worry, I vow to see Clone Wars soon. And when I do, a review you shall see.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Yay, for this blog! Erica here... Have to say I ended up seeing this film over the weekend and was more than pleasantly surprised. Well constructed and paced, the writing was good and the characters were engaging... I was there for the Robert Downey Jr. and he didn't disappoint but man did Tom Cruise steal the show. The dude was flippin hilarious. I think all his appearances in films should be a surprise. That way I'm expecting nothing, have no judgments going in and can remember that a long time ago in a galaxy similar to this one this man was once pure entertainment.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

James said...

I obviously loved this film, being a fan of stupid comedy (I own Beverly Hills Ninja). But yay for you liking it too despite your initial reservations!

QuiGonJen said...

Jim: Reservations is the perfect word to describe my attitude, I think. It's not as if I would ever turn down watching a film like (or lesser than) Tropic Thunder. I'm just not checking imdb every five minutes to see when the next one's coming out, you know?

Erica: I almost decided to make Tom Cruise the show stealer. But after Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. is my boy, yo! This summer makes me want to go back and watch everything he's ever done either again or for the first time. But I completely agree with your assessment of Tom Cruise. I had just written him off as Hollywood's newest biggest joke, and then he pulls this. It makes me think, "Oh yea, he was kind of awesome way back when."

Greg said...

You make a great case for this movie (as do the opinions of Jim and Erica) but I'm still unconvinced...

Maybe I'm just bitter about Clone Wars getting destroyed at the box office...

Can I suggest your next review?
Pixar!